Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 6: Padron to Santiago de Compostela; why am I doing this?!?

I started the day with a strong feeling that I could have spent this hard earned time relaxing on one of my favorite beaches in SoCal or in Palm Springs or at any number of places that would not have caused me any physical pain. The complexity of parenting 3 kids in various stages of independence, emotional development and responses to their own challenges on the Camino furthered this feeling. It was suddenly all very hard and I considered grabbing a taxi and forgetting the whole thing. 
But the kids inspired me. We had arguments and challenges and general bad behavior at times, but the kids never seriously considered quitting. Some of them pouted, some of them got angry, some yelled, (well ok, we all yelled), some cried, but the kids were committed and not one of them threatened to quit. Connor walked by my side the whole of the last two days (my pace a crawl next to his as he had been the fastest of all of us) urging me not to give up, assuring his sisters we would meet them in the next town.
I saw each of the kids go through their own individual pain (both physical and emotional) but never waiver. 
So we trudged on. Turning one of the most mundane activities, walking, into an exercise of self affirmation. Yes. It's hard but it works.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you continued and made it. Great pics - even remember most of those places and hey the weather looked really nice the last days. Now on to Berlin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the photos before, but feels like I am just reading this. So inspiring. Makes me want to do this with my kids. Sometimes. I love all the pics.

    ReplyDelete